The mission of the Appalachian State University Master of Public Administration program is to educate and prepare in-service and pre-service students to be public service leaders by fostering foundational knowledge, analytical and practical skills, and professional networks.
To achieve this mission, the MPA program will emphasize the values of responsiveness, expertise, and accountability as it:
- Delivers a curriculum that reflects core disciplinary content and provides flexibility for student specialization,
- Develops collaborative relationships across the university and with local government, non-profit, and criminal justice professionals in the region and state,
- Promotes high-quality faculty teaching, scholarship, and service, and
- Sustains and enhances the program’s governance, resources, and established strengths.
Public Service Values emphasized by the AppState MPA Program
- Expertise: to act with competence, skill, and knowledge to achieve effective outcomes
- Accountability: to act with integrity and transparency in the lawful pursuit of the public interest
- Responsiveness: to be respectful of the perspectives of citizens, colleagues, collaborators, and other