The mission of the Appalachian State University Master of Public Administration program is to educate and prepare in-service and pre-service students to be public service leaders by fostering foundational knowledge, analytical and practical skills, and professional networks.
To achieve this mission, the MPA program will emphasize the values of responsiveness, expertise, and accountability as it:
- Delivers a curriculum that reflects core disciplinary content and provides flexibility for student specialization,
- Develops collaborative relationships across the university and with local government, non-profit, and criminal justice professionals in the region and state,
- Promotes high-quality faculty teaching, scholarship, and service, and
- Sustains and enhances the program's governance, resources, and established strengths.
On-campus students choose one of four tracks as their area of concentration:
- Administration of Justice
- Not-for-Profit Management
- Public Management
- Town, City, and County Management
Get quick details about the MPA program from our flyer (PDF, 858 KB).
The Appalachian State University MPA Program offers face-to-face instruction in three locations: on-campus in Boone and off-campus in Hickory and Winston-Salem.
The MPA program is committed to promoting and supporting student and faculty diversity in our instruction, research, outreach, and program governance.